Old 26-10-2004, 03:56 PM
Doug Kanter

"Warren" wrote in message
news:74ffd.247265$wV.40076@attbi_s54...
David J Bockman wrote:
Willows are waterpigs, they will definetely be attracted to the pool
and
pipes.

How do they know there's water inside the pipes, or beyond the concrete?
Wouldn't the roots grow just as much in the other direction - maybe even
more if there was no resistance? What attracts them to the pool and
pipes? Smell? Visuals survalence from the branches, passed to the roots?
Can you fool them to think there's water in the oposite direction?

I can't answer that question, but I can pose a similar one, which backs up
the question from the Bud Light ads from years ago, "Why ask why?"

I used to plant (and will plant again) some pole beans. I used 8 ft high 4x4
posts with a crucifix-like bar across the top of each. Strings ran from
stakes in the ground to the cross bar at the top, to keep the plants
somewhat separated and allow more even light penetration. I installed two of
these posts about 8 feet apart (opposite corners of the garden). When the
beans reached the top and wanted to go further, they would begin growing
toward the opposite poles, actually sending their branches horizontally. It
was as if they figured out where their next best support option was. There
were NEVER any branches headed anywhere EXCEPT for the opposite pole, and
there was no string between the poles. Very strange.

If it happens again next season, I'll take some pictures and post them.