Old 26-10-2004, 09:34 PM
Jim Carlock

"Atlas" wrote:
...snipmagnesium deficiency/snip...

I've added e few pix there if like to share opinions.
http://www.angelfire.com/blog/hermann188/

My understanding, it applies to the Human body as well
as plants, is that calcium and magnesium need each other.

I don't know much about the details or what the right
answer is, but if you have an excessive amount of calcium
it might be that the magnesium deficiency is because of
the excess calcium. I don't know what the ration of calcium
to magnesium should be but there IS a ratio. They seem
to be directly proportional as well.

So if you have excessive calcium, you have a few options:
1) Change the calcium in some manner where it won't
be utilized, thus balancing the magnesium/calcium,

2) Add more magnesium, thus balancing the magnesium
and calcium. (I don't know what a good source for this
would be, but maybe banana peels? I just don't know.
Someone else might be able to suggest something.
Banana peels add potassium and nitrogen.)

3) Perhaps there is something that feeds off calcium, a
bug of some sort that could use the calcium and be
happy. This goes back to 1) above, but I thought I
would provide it as a separate item. Maybe someone
else has an idea or a suggestion.

Just throwing ideas up in the air. I only have clues, not
answers.

I think epsom salt is a good source of magnesium. I've got
a feeling though banana peels might be a better thing to put
into the soil. Don't take my word for it though. I just don't
know.

As far as pot size goes, I think of it like this... The pot
should be as wide as the branches. The reason being,
center of gravity. Think of it like this, if you have a huge
tree that grows high and branches out wide, it needs the
support underneath it, otherwise a small wind could blow
it over and uproot it. Kind of makes replanting it to soil
a little harder, but if you intend to keep it in a pot, I tend
to think the pot should be as big as the average width of
the longest branches.

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to the newsgroup.