Old 26-10-2004, 07:34 PM
ned

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 25/10/04 20:23, in article , "ned"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...

big snip

The fuss is because many such hedges are *not* managed properly

........Then the howls of anguish should be hurled at the
(mis)managers - not the plant.

While *you*
are managing your hedge, all is well but what if you sell the house?

............ I bought the house with the hedge there. It was taller
than I would have wished. I knew what I was letting myself in for.
We subsequently took about 3ft+ off the top and enjoy it for what it
is, a superb windbreak, a structural feature, and home to the Juniper
Shieldbug. (see website)

When people buy houses, surely they weigh up what they are taking on.
You don't move in and then say, "Oh, I didn't see that tall hedge
there before."

Will
the next owner be as conscientious, have the time, care as much?

And IMO,
while you look after your hedge well, if someone wants a hedge to

maintain
at 8' then planting beech will achieve the same results, more

attractively
in what is my subjective opinion

............. But people do not consider what YOUR opinion is when they
buy. They buy what THEY want. It would be a terrible world if we all
thought the same. But I do get just a tad upset (just a tad) when I
see the torrent of abuse that is heaped upon Leylandii, when it can be
an attractive feature.

Gardening is all about 'management'. One owner's beautiful lawn can be
the next owners neglected wilderness.
Why don't we hear outcries about that dreadful thing called grass?
Eurghhh! It's running wild. It's all uneven. What a mess. 3ft tall and
seeding - everywhere. This is neat and tidy suburbia. Can't we have it
banned?
......... Or is that different? :-))

--
ned