Old 27-10-2004, 01:52 AM
NetMax

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

"NetMax" wrote in message
.. .
"Tom" wrote in message
news:jeVed.938$HA.108@attbi_s01...

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I started up a plant tank with some pond plants about five weeks

ago.
I've
been doing this slowly, adding Trace Elements, C02, Macro

Nutrients,
etc.
This past week the plants started looking pretty good, although I

think my
light levels are still too low (55 gal : 144 CF Watts). But now I

have
snails. Stagnant Pond Snails I think. Could these things take

five
weeks
hatch?

I want to make this a Community Tank once I'm happy with the

plants,
so
what
tropical fish will eat the snails. I like the Clown Loaches, but

they
will
grow too big for this tank. Do any of the smaller Loaches like

snails,
maybe
a Yoyo Loach?

I ahve three yo-yo loaches and they do jut fine. They are said to

top
out
at about 4" to 5". My largest, which I assume by the body shape

and
size is
a female, has grown considerably in the short time I have had them.

From
about 3" to 4.5", but I feed a live food diet and there were lots

of
snails
in the tank when I put them in. None now.

Tom

The Zebra loach tends to stay a bit smaller than the yoyo and by
reputation, is a slightly better snailer, but results vary by

individual.
There are also fish which are very effective snail egg eaters, which

is
another approach to take.

Like Bettas?

I did consider them, but I keep reading that so many community fish can

be
fin nippers.

I was thinking about other loaches, but the sci.name escapes me. They
are very similar to a botia body shape except they have a more elongated
snout. Perhaps someone else can provide the name. Many cichlids will
also do the job, and there are many to choose from which like soft acidic
water and don't get too big.
--
www.NetMax.tk