Old 22-10-2004, 05:45 PM
Jim Lewis

On 22 Oct 2004 at 20:04, Anil Kaushik wrote:

Could you please tell as to what is *Minwax*? What is the generic name of
this compound?

"MinWax" is a company name. The company makes wood stains
varnishes, poly-whatever finishes, wood filler, and a number of
other wood-finish related products.

The MinWax product we speak about most often here is a "wood
hardener." I have no idea what's in it; and it doesn't smell
like anything _I_ recognize. ;-)

The product is made to soak into and harden pulpy, rotted wood --
as in porches and decks. There is a similar product -- GitRot --
that is intended to do the same for rotted wood in boat hulls
or decks, but it is made by another company. There may be
other, similar, products.

Neither of these, probably, is available in India, but you could
do a web search for "wood hardener" and see what pops up.

The other MinWax product(s) I find very useful are the broad-tip
felt pens filled with wood stain of various kinds. I use these
to disguise major branch cuts until they callus over and to
color jin and shari on deciduous trees where the white look of
lime sulfur is totally inappropriate. The "pickled oak" color
even imparts a lightish color to bare wood.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++