Old 27-10-2004, 01:57 AM
Phisherman

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:05:15 -0500, Mark Anderson
wrote:

I just bought some powder rooting hormone from Home Depot (Shultz brand).
Neither the bottle nor the box has any directions as to how to use this.
Last year I cloned a bunch of plants in the fall by just sticking them in
water and for the most part it worked. I wanted to try the rooting
compound this year.

After dipping the cuttings in the compound do I stick it in a glass of
water or should I just stick the cutting in potting soil?

Coat the cutting such that when you insert it into the rooting medium
the power shows 1/2" or less. I prefer to use vermiculite as a
rooting medium and have it barely moist. Make a hole with a pencil,
insert the cutting, and _lightly_ tamp down. For woody stems I prefer
to cover the pot and cutting with a plastic bag. Set the cutting in
the brightest light (no sun) or 2" from fluorescent tubes. You'll get
sturdier roots (and a healthier plant) using this method than with
plain water.