Old 20-10-2004, 03:48 PM
zxcvbob

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:19:21 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

What are Devil's Tongue peppers? I've seen you mention them several times.

They're a yellow habanero-type pepper, _C chinense_, and right
up there with the hottest of the hot peppers. I think Reimers seeds
and Dave DeWitt's company both claimed to have tested some and
had them come out hotter than Red Savinas last year. You can
go to www.chiliplants.com, click on "Chile Chart" and scroll
down and click on "Devil's Tongue" is you want to see a picture.

Once they're that insanely hot, I don't see what difference a few
Scovilles one way or the othe; but then I'm a pepper geek, not a
chilihead. The brother of one of my co-workers *is* a chilihead, and
he says they taste hotter than Red Savina's and Chocolate habs. I
think they impart a nice flavor to the hot pepper oils and vinagars I
make, but I'm not about to munch one!

Penelope

Thanks. That sounds a lot like "fatalii", which I like and is supposed
to grow well up here but I haven't had any luck with them. I wouldn't
believe everything I read at Reimers. I bought some of their Indian
PC-1 peppers a few years ago and they weren't all that special, just hyped.

My interesting pepper this year was "dundicut", scavanged from some
dried peppers I bought at an Indian market. I got very poor germination
and a weak start with those pepper seeds, but I have fresh seeds now for
next year. The peppers have a good flavor, are quite hot but not much
more so than a good jalapeno, and they are *very* seedy so I mostly ate
them green while the seeds were still soft. They look about like red
and green gumdrops. :-)

Bob