Old 27-10-2004, 08:47 AM
Sacha

On 27/10/04 12:13 am, in article , "ned"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...

big, big snip

But leylandii? The
queries over its management on this group are continuous

........ as are queries over ponds, compost heaps, best mower, etc.

But not as the target of almost exclusively complaints.

and for good and obvious reasons. (Sascha says)
Every time I drive past a house in this neighbourhood I'm
made aware of this. For years this was a well-maintained hedge

which acted
both as a privacy screen and as a windbreak. The man of the house

is now
very ill and the hedge is going untrimmed.........

..................... lack of maintenance!
Cease to maintain any garden and it will degenerate.
What would an unmaintained beech hedge grow into?
....... Don't tell me. A ginormous beautiful beech hedge?

See my response to Kay.

;-) 'Course you're not prejudiced. ;-)

I'm extremely prejudiced and I make no bones about it. But I'm prejudiced
for good reason.
Perhaps people take better care of beech hedges because they don't take so
much care and that is because they don't grow at such a terrific rate.
Leylandii have their place as effective wind breaks where space allows for
them. As hedges in small gardens, sorry but no. Not, IMO.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk