Old 27-10-2004, 09:55 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay wrote:
In article , Sacha
writes

The fuss is because many such hedges are *not* managed properly and the one
the OP is talking about is a case in point. It was allowed to get much too
tall and still is, from their point of view, I should think. While *you*
are managing your hedge, all is well but what if you sell the house? Will
the next owner be as conscientious, have the time, care as much?

Oh, for heaven's sake! I'm willing to take responsibility for what I do
in my garden while it is my garden, but I do not see that I have
responsibility to manage it a way that would ensure a future owner could
not annoy the neighbours.

After all, this argument also applies to beech hedges - *you* may manage
your beech hedge, but a future owner may not and, after all, beech are
forest trees. If you follow this argument, then the only allowable
hedges are those from shrubs which will never reach more than 6 ft.

I think that both of you should try mixing some black and white paint,
and seeing what colour it makes :-)

The difference is not an absolute, but there ARE major differences
between overgrown beech and leylandii hedges. For example:

Beech can be cut back and regrow rather more readily
Beech allows more light through in the winter
Beech allows more rain through, so more will grow underneath

Yes, leylandii can be kept under control, but a leylandii hedge
that has got more than (say) 2-3 years out of control needs cutting
down. One that is 5 years out of control is seriously objectionable
in suburbia.

I don't know how old a beech hedge can be and be salvaged, but let's
say 5-10 years. And one out of control will start to thin itself
naturally and drop leaves in winter, so is much less objectionable
than leylandii.

However, laurel is every bit as objectionable as leylandii, despite
being salvageable in old age. I am old enough to remember when it
attracted the same vitriol as leylandii, and for the same reasons.
It seems that there is always a "standard bearer" for the fast growing,
dense evergreen hedging plants, and that attracts all the (justified)
venom directed at improperly maintained examples.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.