Old 27-10-2004, 06:53 PM
Curtis

I was kind of wondering if Rainbow fish don't eat snails. I set up a
planted 75g tank about 6 weeks ago and about 2 weeks ago started seeing
snails (I counted as many as 10). They typically spent the better part of
the day scavenging the glass and I really didn't see them as an issue just
yet. Last week I added 6 Rainbowfish to the tank and this week I can only
see three of the larger (which at this point is about 1/4") and I've found
at least one empty shell.

Maybe it was just a coincidence. I also have 12 zebra Danios a 5" Angel
fish and a 5" Pleco in the aquarium.

"Commander Vimes" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:18:31 -0400, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

I started up a plant tank with some pond plants about five weeks ago.

I've
been doing this slowly, adding Trace Elements, C02, Macro Nutrients, etc.
This past week the plants started looking pretty good, although I think

my
light levels are still too low (55 gal : 144 CF Watts). But now I have
snails. Stagnant Pond Snails I think. Could these things take five weeks

hatch?

I want to make this a Community Tank once I'm happy with the plants, so

what
tropical fish will eat the snails. I like the Clown Loaches, but they

will
grow too big for this tank. Do any of the smaller Loaches like snails,

maybe
a Yoyo Loach?

I have a couple of Botia Histrionica's (Golden Zebra loach) - within 3
weeks of putting them in a snail infested 120 litre tank, the whole
tank was clear. These are active during the day and also swim in the
mid-section of the tank.

Other bonuses include they only grow to 10cm (3.5 inches) maximum.

Hope this helps,

Vimes