Old 27-10-2004, 05:08 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Bob S." wrote in message
m...
"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

news:vQhfd.315218$D%.69665@attbi_s51...
"FACE" wrote in message
I see on Google that Dogwoods are free-bleeders. OK.

I made several pruning cuts on a dogwood yesterday. I went by it this
morning and it is dripping from all of them. Most of all from the end

of
pruned branch less than 1" diameter.

The dogwood leaves have already turned red -- the temp is still

running
lower 50s to lower 70s (zone 7a).

Should I wait until winter is here to continue pruning the dogwood or

just
ignore the bleeding?

Wait until the tree is fully dormant - after complete leafdrop and

couple of
hard frosts. FWIW, I'd avoid ANY excess pruning on a dogwood - they do

not
appreciate it and generally respond with unattractive medusa-like

growths of
multiple shoots at most pruning cuts. Limit pruning to removal of dead

or
diseased wood or conflicting branches. And if the tree is infected with
anthracnose to any degree, pruning tends to exacerbate the development

of
the disease.

pam - gardengal

Hey Pam,
A dogwood has a pretty bad case of anthracnose starting at about 4 ft
up the trunk. I cut it down at ground level. New shoots sprout from
what's left of the stump. What's the chances the shoots will develop
into a healthy tree??

Bob S.

Not sure what you're going to get, as I have never seen this tried - cutting
back to a stump and allowing it to regrow from basal shoots. For one,
probably not a very attractive tree - shoot growths from stumps will not
grow into a true "tree form" - there is no single leader or primary growth
point. You will most likely get a more shrubby looking form. Anthracnose is
a foliar disease so while the new growth could appear clean for a period of
time, there is no guarantee it will remain so, specially if other dogwoods
in the area are infected.

Is there a reason you don't remove it entirely and replace with a more
disease resistant species or hybrid?

pam - gardengal