Old 27-10-2004, 05:26 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Manco" wrote in message
news:Zlmfd.6663$kr4.631@trnddc01...
I've read on a pamphlet to place the plant on moistened pebbles, but

should
those pebbles go IN the pot beneath the soil, or underneath the pot or

what?

In addition to what Tom said, it's not a bad idea to put a layer of

pebbles
or broken clay pot fragments into the pot before adding soil. It's

supposed
to aid in drainage. It's got nothing to do with humidity. The fragments

keep
the drainage holes from clogging with soil. Actually, I've never seen that
happen, but I put fragments in my pots anyway.

Use a piece of screen or fine wire mesh rather than rocks, pebbles or broken
shards in the bottom of the pot. These additions do not improve drainage -
in fact they can impede good drainage by changing the textural levels the
water must go through. In the same manner that it is not recommended to
amend planting holes because of introducing different types of soil
structures that water will not move through smoothly and without slowing,
the same principles apply to plants in a container. In fact, unimpeded
drainage for container grown plants is even more critical.

pam - gardengal