Old 27-10-2004, 07:24 PM
ned

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...

snip
Perhaps people take better care of beech hedges because they don't

take so
much care and that is because they don't grow at such a terrific

rate.

Sascha, I do not know where you get your polarised attitude from.
My well maintained Leylandii gets the same maintenance as all the farm
Hawthorn hedges in Lincolnshire.
It gets trimmed once a year. My domestic Hawthorn hedge needs trimming
twice. As does my Privet.
Hawthorn always outstrips Leylandii in the growth stakes.
I took about 18" off the table top of the Leylandii this year.
The farm hawthorn leaders were over 3ft.
In the 560 yds of hawthorn in my care it is hardly surprising that the
odd Sycamore, Ash, Elder - yes, and Beech, (and one Plum) intrude to
spoil the symmetry. All are rampant and outgrow the hawthorn. So the
Leylandii pale into insignificance beside them.

These are not my opinions. These are facts that I live with, day in,
year out.

PS. I notice that further down the thread your argument starts to
change. :-))
--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk