Old 27-10-2004, 11:34 PM
Sacha

On 27/10/04 7:24 pm, in article , "ned"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...

snip
Perhaps people take better care of beech hedges because they don't

take so
much care and that is because they don't grow at such a terrific

rate.

Sascha, I do not know where you get your polarised attitude from.
My well maintained Leylandii gets the same maintenance as all the farm
Hawthorn hedges in Lincolnshire.
It gets trimmed once a year. My domestic Hawthorn hedge needs trimming
twice. As does my Privet.
Hawthorn always outstrips Leylandii in the growth stakes.

I took about 18" off the table top of the Leylandii this year.
The farm hawthorn leaders were over 3ft.
In the 560 yds of hawthorn in my care it is hardly surprising that the
odd Sycamore, Ash, Elder - yes, and Beech, (and one Plum) intrude to
spoil the symmetry. All are rampant and outgrow the hawthorn. So the
Leylandii pale into insignificance beside them.

These are not my opinions. These are facts that I live with, day in,
year out.

PS. I notice that further down the thread your argument starts to
change. :-))

My argument does not change. Well maintained hedges of any sort are one
thing. Out of control hedges are another.
Leylandii hedges can get out of control faster and more radically than any
other type of hedge and are not suitable for suburban gardens. They are not
so objectionable used as windbreaks where they do not encroach upon the
gardens of others. I still hate them, think them boring, giving nothing to
the land on which they are grown and a waste of space - literally.
But you are welcome to Google this group to see how many complaints there
are about e.g. Leylandii and how many about beech, hawthorn.
And, BTW, I don't know where you live or how or when your hedge was planted
but if you have that mix in it, you may have one of the ancient hedges
planted with an eye to witchcraft and the various functions of the various
trees. They were planted as a boundary in more ways than one, time past.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk