Old 28-10-2004, 01:45 AM
Mark Anderson

In article says...
It has been my experience that plants do like HPS lighting, although
perhaps not as much as they like fluorescent lighting if you can get the
intensity they need.

The 400W HPS light I got puts out 45,000 lumens, much of that light is in
the red spectrum. Similar warm fluorescents put out around 2000 lumens
per 40 watt bulb. The cool fluorescents put out 4000 lumens per 40
watts. I spent a lot of time at the hardware stores reading labels. :-)

The lamp produces only a little more heat (and less intense heat) than a
300W halogen lamp, which are commonly used in floor lamps.

All that heat doesn't get wasted if you run the lamps in the winter --
it helps to heat you house. It will be noticable on your electric bill.

I'm running it 10 hours a day or 4KW/day which runs a little less that a
dollar a day. It does supplement heat for the room and it provides
simulated sunlight which can help with seasonal affected disorder (SAD).
This is something people get during the short days of winter and when the
body doesn't get enough sunlight it can make one depressed. The theory
is that supplementing sunlight with a light like this can trick the body
into thinking the day is longer than it actually is.

Plus I get to garden in the winter. :-)

If anyone is interested I found my light at this place:

http://www.hydroponics.net/I/389602

Everything was shipped well and so far it all works. They forgot to ship
an extra bulb I ordered but a simple email cleared that up. This place
had the best prices I could find, including what gets sold on ebay.