Old 28-10-2004, 09:29 AM
Paul D.Smith

"Reece" wrote in message
news:1098920481.SYCpxUaJw2LRjT9rPIfI3A@teranews...
I hope I do not get banished for being slightly off topic but how can I
discourage Magpies from coming into my garden. There are more than 20 nest
in the trees bordering my property but they are on conservation ground.
At any one time during the early morning there can be as many as 12

Magpies
on my roof.
They are bullying the small garden birds I am sure.

Any help would be brilliant.

Thanks,

Reece.

In my garden, large flocks are not unusual (normally family groups in
Autumn) but I've not noticed them bothering the smaller birds. Having
different feeding stations helps. The magpies are happy on the ground but
won't get "into" the bulk of trees so I hang millet sprays etc within the
branches of my apple tree.

Alternatively, encourage crows who actively "shoo off" magpies if they get
too near. Can't say the crows are quiet neighbours either though ;-).

Now how to get rid of those annoying ferel pigeons, including "smarty", the
one who figured out how to hang at a weird angle to defeat the otherwise
pigeon-proof bird feeder!

Paul DS.