Old 28-10-2004, 05:43 PM
Doug Kanter

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote in message
news
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

2) One part of our lawn consisted of 50% bindweed at certain times of

year.
Awful weed, but when the grass was suffering in hot weather, the

bindweed
was rockin', so at least it was soft and green. My son wants to give the
neighbor a few diggings of bindweed, and tell him it helps keep nitrogen
available to the lawn.

If you've ever inquired at a cooperative extension about getting rid of
bindweed, they'll tell you that you need to use chemicals which make

agent
orange look like herb tea. :-)

Now this is malicious and is probably actionable in court. In fact it
breaks some laws about proliferation of noxious weeds. Since you
published this in this thread, you can't plead ignorance and deny
malice.

Field bindweed is a declared plant (noxious weed) throughout Western
Australia and many other places. It is illegal to grow it and any
plants found must be destroyed.

University of Nebraska recommends fall is an excellent time to apply
herbicides for control of perennial weeds like Canada thistle, field
bindweed and leafy spurge. Oregon State University agrees with this and
suggests that application timing be about 1 week prior to the first
frost.

We don't apply herbicides. They can't be tested for safety according to good
scientific practices.