Old 28-10-2004, 06:42 PM
Timothy

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:51:10 -0400, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Has any one had success doing this? I've tried on several occasions with
very little compost and lots of leaves looking like they just fell
yesterday after a year's time. I've tried adding water after filling the
bag and bagging wet leaves. I use partially shredded leaves from my mower.

Cheryl
Southern NH

Air is a very important part of compost production. To make compost you
need:
equal part green, brown air annd water. When you bag the compost you make
it very hard for the air to reach the leaves. The water that you added
will be enough for a while but the bacteria will comsume it over time. If
you were able to get compost working in the bags, the heat from the
cooking compost maybe too much for the bags to take.

Why do you feel the need to make compost in bags? There are really nice
compost bins on the market that are rather cheap.
Good luck.......

--
Trees are like children, train them right when their young.....
or spend a lifetime trying to correct them.