Old 28-10-2004, 06:56 PM
Sacha

On 28/10/04 16:41, in article ,
" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
On 28/10/04 10:13, in article ,
" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
On 27/10/04 4:59 pm, in article
,
"Kay"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
Perhaps people take better care of beech hedges because they don't take
so
much care and that is because they don't grow at such a terrific rate.

perhaps there are just fewer beech hedges?

Perhaps. But when did you last read 6 complaints about out of control
beech
hedges on here? Or even three? Leylandii even has its own place in urg's
FAQ.

There are a huge number of leylandii and other conifer hedges - a small
proportion not looked after would numerically be much larger than a
similar proportion of other hedges.

And don't forget the bandwagon effect. Leylandii complaints are the 'in
thing' atm.

In that case, they have been the 'in thing' for many years and for very
good
reason. If they are the most planted hedge, they are the most planted
hedge
causing the most annoyance, most suffering and most all round bloody
nuisance.
If they are the most planted hedge then they will have the most
complaints shurely, statistically speaking of course

If they're such a good idea and so easy to maintain, why should there be any
complaints, let alone the scores there are or have been?

They are an easy target because of the high profile cases but if you
look at the hedgeline website you would see that they are far from the
only complained about hedge, if fact I would say boundaries are probably
the most oft complained about part of house owning. Leylandii are seen
as a good idea which is why they are so popular but its when they are
used as a weapon in a dispute that the mass hysteria takes over and
people then ignore the majority of controlled hedges and just talk about
the ones that are hyped up in the media.
I think a statute should be brought in to control neighbours not their
tools because there are many things that can make your neighbours lives
a misery besides hedges

I have never said that leylandii are the only point of dispute. I have said
that *on here* they are the most frequently mentioned hedging (!) plants
that lead to dispute.
But I am sure you're right that boundaries are a matter of dispute. My
daughter has recently moved into our village and her house had been let for
a couple of years before she bought it and the garden was not well
maintained. No leylandii to worry about but a fence collapsing with the
weight of several untrimmed climbers and rotting, too. So her neighbours
asked anxiously if she was going to firstly cut back the climbers and
secondly replace the fence. As I was her foreman in her absence, I said I
was sure she would and she did. So - she took down the climbers and all the
truly appalling tangle with the help of one of our men here and the
neighbours *immediately* said they'd lost all their privacy! They said it
very nicely because they are really delightful people but clearly, it was a
revelation to them that the mess they'd bemoaned in the two years they'd
owned their house had, in fact, given them the privacy they wanted! So -
she has replaced the fence at 6' (it was 4') and will in her own time,
replace it with *managed* climbers. All this has prompted the neighbour on
her right to replace *her* fence, so we hope this is a win/win situation for
everyone, especially the local fencing suppliers from whom we are thinking
of claiming a commission! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk