Old 28-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Sacha

On 28/10/04 19:16, in article , "ned"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 28/10/04 2:19, in article
, "ned"
wrote:

snip
It is a wonderful haven for wildlife.
As is the (well maintained) Leylandii.!!! :-))

It's funny you say that about leylandii (and I'm not being

sarcastic) but I
had a long and high hedge of it at one house

........... Ah, so that's where the prejudice stems from.
'Couldn't hack the maintenance, eh? :-)

Didn't get the chance, smart ass. ;-) In fact, it proves my "owners who let
it get out of control" remarks. It was 12' high or more when I bought the
house and I lived there for mere months before I demolished that piece of
ugliness. There is no doubt it shielded me from passers-by, so I lived with
it for a while. Then one day I looked out at that relentless slab of boring
green and snapped. Within two weeks it was gone, the railings it had pushed
and bent out of shaped were replaced by new ones as was the low brick wall
it had semi-demolished and I, at least, was a much happier bunny. It cost a
lot of money and was worth every single penny to me. At the suggestion of
David Poole, I planted Eucalyptus and Escallonia and as a result of buying
those, met my husband. Hey! Maybe leylandii do have their uses after
all!!!

and rarely saw birds on it or in it.

:-))
While doing the annual maintenance (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) I found
two nests within the hedge. I suspect tit nests.
Wood pigeons nest on the flat top with only the new growth for cover.
But where the hedge is compact, it should be no surprise that birds
don't fight their way through it.
For reasons not clear, ladybirds in their hundreds appear to love
sunbathing on the flat top.
Butterflies (Large White, Green Veined White, Orange Tip, Comma,
Speckled Wood, this year) often rest on the lea side on windy days.
Where else would you find the Juniper Shieldbug - apart from Juniper?

What's with the nudge nudge wink wink? Two nests, eh? Amazing. In 60
feet. Wow.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk