Old 29-10-2004, 02:22 AM

Hi Mike:

Welcome to the group; there are some pretty smart people in here -
you've come to the right place for advice. A phal. is a perfect start
for you. Read up on them and the rest is just lots of patience, don't
hurry them.
Things to remember, don't treat them like a regular house plant,
you know keeping them moist and in dirt. Orchids like sphagnum moss and
to be almost completely dry when you water them (for phals. anyway).
Don't let the water stand in the drip tray, dump it out. Remember let
it go almost dry. Some people say, "Well I water it once a week and
tend to forget about it sometimes." AWWWK! If a person waters a plant
when it's dry that could be any number of days not once a week. If it's
hot weather your plant might dry out in two days. As for light for a
beginner you can do like I have and get a grow light for plants. The
bulb specifically says that. Mines in a hood and I can find new bulbs
at hardware stores. Now I'm gonna go check on a 'mealie' posting in
here cause I hate mealie bugs!!!!! Had a hoya once and they took over
and killed it in just a matter of days.
Good luck and and remember read up on phals. and don't loose your tag if
it has one..........Burr
Only one orchid? You poor man little do you know - they're
so addictive - I have 6.