Old 29-10-2004, 01:04 AM
Nedra

Okay, sit back and just read

A veggie filter is separate 'pond' buillt adjacent to the main pond. You
build it
so that it is about 10 - 15% of the surface of your pond. For instance, my
veggie
filter is 4' by 8' ... which is a little more than the surface area of my
pond. Volume
doesn't count here! I dug mine to about 18" deep then lined it with regular
pond
liner. I used landscape timbers which turned out to be the easiest for me to
measure.
Build it like the Lincoln Logs ... Then I nailed 1 x 6"s around the top to
hold the liner down. My son built a
manifold to go on the bottom of the VF .... it is made of PVC with lots of
holes drilled all around.
Next you want to get a pump (mine's a 500 gph) for that will allow "dwell
time" ... that is slow enough for the
water to dwell in the Veggie Filter ;-) I put the pump on the opposite side
of the pond -
attached a black hose that extends all the way over to the VF .... up the
sides and over the top. I attached this end of the hose to a manifold that
sits on the bottom of the VF.
Turn on the pump and let it fill. I start my VF in early Spring;... i.e.
March in Missouri.
I have water iris that are several years old ... and really need to be
divided. Also Taro
and lots of Water Hyacinths. The roots of these plants filter the water -
you will
be surprised at how quickly your pond will clear.

That's it from me. I know lots of others have built their own veggie
filters and besides
I've probably forgotten something or other ----

Good Luck!

Nedra in Missouri

wrote in message news:41815d52@padme....
OK guys 'n galls, curiosity has got the better of me. What is a veggie
filter? I'll tell you what a tiddler is if you tell me what ones of these
filter things is!

A tiddler is a young fish, bigger than fry, say 1 to 3 inches long - a

sort
of young teenager - not out of high school yet. You know, wet around the
ears.

But what is a veggie filter? Is it something that they have in fish and
chip shops to stop people eating having a good diet? - really is fish and
chips only, no salad!