Old 29-10-2004, 06:49 AM
gregpresley

I did them up all the time by accident, - also when I go to pull the dead
foliage off in early June, often the entire bulb comes up with the leaf. I
just stick them back in the dirt and they have expanded like crazy in my
garden, where, apparently, they are not only perennial but invasive....LOL
Incidentally, although I'm in a cold climate, I have found that they will
grow perfectly well if planted anywhere from 1 to 5 inches deep.
"Ted Shoemaker" wrote in message
om...
When digging up tulip bulbs, to divide them:
(1) How do you avoid damaging the bulbs? I can't think of any way to
prevent goung some bulbs, except to have them in soil so friable (such
as Miracle Gro potting soil) that you could just lift them out and not
use a spade.
(2) When you have damaged a bulb, how much damage is "okay"? How
much can get lopped of, and the thing will probably grow next spring
anyway?

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker