Old 29-10-2004, 12:18 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay writes:

| Precisely - it puzzled me too. And I'm trying to explore why. You, I
| think, put it down to the lack of utility of leylandii to wildlife, but
| that is in contrast to my experience, which is that it's not brilliant,
| but neither is it barren. So why do I get birds in leylandii when you
| don't? ...

Because you have the relevant birds looking for a nesting site,
and possibly few other suitable ones. Leylandii is of use to
most birds SOLELY as a nesting site - and then only to some birds.
If they don't have sources of food elsewhere, it will be barren,
because the birds won't be there. Similarly, if there are enough
preferable nesting plants, it will not be used.

It isn't a lot different from most hedges in this respect, though
is a little more extreme, in that it doesn't host a lot of insects
and other food either on its leaves or in its litter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.