Old 29-10-2004, 02:45 PM
Derek Broughton

A.N.Other wrote:

depth is 42in with a self at about 22in at the ends.

So that's deep enough to protect all of the hardy plants.

These ones can freeze solid, so you don't have to do anything with them:
Bullrushs - various
Rushes Unknown variety v tall with bottle brush seed pod.
Yellow Flag Iris

These ones should be sunk below the ice. I use baskets with rope on them to
let me grap the lilies - because at the bottom of your pond, you'd have to
get IN in the spring, otherwise, and you don't want to do that!

Parrot feather
Hardy water lilies.

Now, K30 and others were suggesting that the Parrot feather will probably
survive anyway. I like to grab a few bunches, stuff them in some pantyhose
(with a stone for weight), and lower it with the lilies.

This is tropical:
Black tarro

and makes a good house plant over the winter.

unknowns given me by friends, or found growing in with other purchases.
1) small narrow saw edged leaves with small white flowers.

Floating leaves, or on a stalk? If floating, I'd suspect some kind of
Nymphoides (floating heart) or else water cress. Water cress is very
hardy. Nymphoides can be treated exactly like lilies - some are hardy,
some are tropical. If it's on a stalk, I have no idea.

2) arrow shaped leaf, flower is a white spike.

Arrowhead? Sagittarius latifolia.
http://www.k12.nf.ca/sjis/landhabita...arrowhead.html
If that's what it is, it can freeze solid.

3) odd shaped leaf (looks like the silloette of an oak tree) yellow
flowers.

Not a clue about this one.

You either have an extra T or you're missing one :-)

Missing one.

LOL. West of Toronto puts you in notably milder terrain than west of
Orono. :-)
--
derek