Old 24-10-2004, 10:32 PM
Alan Walker

Kimura has a book, The Bonsai Art of Kimura, which is
published by Stone Lantern Publishing Co. The price on the back
cover of my copy was listed as U.S.$24.95. A review by Andy
Rutledge at
http://www.bonsaitodayonline.com/boo...iewkimura1.htm
shows the current price is $29.95. In it you will certainly find
plenty of examples of his highly sculptured, dramatic bonsai.
However, you will also find far more examples of classically
designed bonsai with little or no jin involved. The same can be
said for his earlier Japanese language book, The Magical
Technician of Contemporary Bonsai, Part I, which was published in
1982 and is long out of print (and currently quite costly).
People seem to have a love/hate relationship with
Kimura's highly sculpted bonsai. Like Picasso or Stravinsky, that
is the case with much great art. It is significant that it does
inspire strong reactions. That is an element of "success" in art.

But it is unfair to dismiss his art on the basis of some
of the more spectacular bonsai which are chosen by magazine
editors.
Sorry, I don't know of any sites exclusively dedicated to
Kimura's bonsai art. A Google search for Kimura bonsai photos
ought to turn up any number of hits, however. For example, visit
http://images.google.com/images?q=Ki...tos&hl=en&lr=&
sa=N&tab=wi&sourceid=tipimg

Alan Walker

"Michael Persiano" wrote...
snip
Kimura's underlying theme is the strange harmony between the
living and the dead in nature. His work almost relentlessly is
an exploration of this fascination.
snip