Old 29-10-2004, 09:37 PM
Warren

peter wrote:
I just did a more accurate measurement by photographing the tree
alongside with a 12-ft long 4x2 as reference:
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0g4dr/douglasfir.jpg
The estimated tree height is at least 92 feet. The tree drops a brance
or two everytime there is a wind storm. These branches are 3 inches in
diameter. Some dented the gutter, one punched a small hole on the
siding, some fell on the roof and made a big bang. That is the
motivation for pruning it.

A few years ago I did hire an arborist to prune the trees (I have
three such trees). It cost me $900. That was the motivation to do it
myself. But I think I'm too chicken to climb the tree myself afterall,
so I may have to find a cheaper arborist...

It's not just a matter of whether you're brave enough to climb the tree.
You need to know what to do, and have the equipment to do it once you
get up there. As you've pointed out, those branches could do a lot of
damage. Not to mention the damage that could happen to you if something
went wrong while you were up there. And how would you know *which*
branches (beyond deadwood) to trim?

There are reasons why it cost you $900. It wasn't just x-many hours of
work. And it wasn't price gouging. It had a lot to do with the training,
experience, and equipment used. The job is more complex than trimming
off a little extra growth from a shrub.

Being chicken to climb the tree should be the least of your reasons for
hiring a professional.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Black & Decker Landscaping Tools & Parts:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker