Old 31-10-2004, 06:31 AM
Xi Wang

Hi,

There are many variations of Golden Peoker, just because it's white
doesn't mean the tag is wrong....although, there's a higher chance that
the tag is wrong.. Could you please describe the flowers in more detail?

With regard to your cultivar question: think of it this way, when two
people have kids, the are not all the same (assuming no twins).
Similarly, when you cross two plants, all the progeny plants have the
same name, but they are all slightly different from each other. To
distinguish them, they are given cultivar names. Not all are named of
course since there are probably millions of Golden Peokers out there,
but the good ones that have won awards or have been cloned extensively
for whatever reason, are given names. The cultivar, or sometimes called
clonal name, identifies one specific plant or its clonal progeny from a
cross.

Cheers,
Xi

da wrote:
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 06:52:30 GMT, Xi Wang
wrote:

Hi,

I think your plant is okay....just go with the rule: if it ain't broken,
don't fix it. Check the plant every once in a while, and if after a few
months everything is kosher, then just continue like you always have.
As for the name, it is Phalaenopsis Golden Peoker. I'm not sure about
the cultivar, as I'm not aware of any clonal names that have 'el' in it.
There is a 'BL' which is a famous, and I think awarded, cultivar.
Perhaps the B looks like an E now if the tag has faded?

Cheers,
Xi

Thanks Xi,

While you've lost me on the "cultivar" bit (I'm a newbie with a
hardware store orchid remember ;-) ) -- is that the grower/breeder?
-- I do appreciate the information. The tag was faded when I got it,
and I just had to take my best guess at the name. The "E" could very
well be a "B" and as I said, for all I know it could even be the wrong
tag.

The "if it aint broke..." rule is pretty much the one I apply to all
my plants and it's a part of the reason I was even hesitant to ask my
question. Because my orchid seems happy right now, I was afraid be
being told "you're doing it all wrong, you must change everything
you're doing."

It's funny but as a newbie I keep hearing "orchids are simple" but the
more I read, the more paranoid I get about what I'm doing with mine,
and the more my initial belief that "orchids are complicated" is
reinforced. Even at the orchid show I attended I got a complete bag
of mixed messages: "yes orchids are simple but you must remember
x,y,z" and the "x,y,z" turned out to be entirely different every time
I talked to a different person.

Thanks again for your advice.
--Vic