Old 27-10-2004, 06:19 PM
profpam

Hi Trainman9,

New Zealand moss is a great product for certain orchids; however, a fine bark,
charcoal, and perlite mixture is best for other orchids.

The sweater box seems a good method. From all the seedlings we have raised from
flask within containers, it seems that air movement is not as important to the
development of seedling as it is to mature plants.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

TRAINMAN9 wrote:

I just read in Growing Orchid by Wilma and Brian Rittershausen, a technique
using mini greenhouse made with smal segregated container and New Zealand
moss.
Is this a good way too?

We used to use clear plastic sweater boxes. They are inexpensive and hold up
well. You can punch holes in the sides of the box using a soldering iron to add
some ventilatin. Line the bottom with spagnum to hold moisture and put the
community flat on top.

The best method we found for deflasking was to use warm water to desolve the
agar and then wash off each of the seedlings. They were then potted into
community flats and placed into the sweater boxes.