Old 27-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Mike

Claude,

Why would the plant be in an active growing period? Shouldn't this be
the time when the plant stops growing new leaves and roots and
produces a spike?

The white bugs (which I've only seem a few) are teeny tiny bugs that
only crawl. I saw them on and around the new roots and on the medium.

The orchid came in a small clear plastic pot which was embedded in
bark inside a clay pot. I repotted the orchid into the clay pot which
is 6" I think. The plant had a lot of roots. I clipped away the dead,
mushy roots. The remaining roots almost completely filled the pot.

Can a phalaenopsis grow roots and spike at the same time?

What does a flower spike emerging from the base of the plant look
like? The roots emerged from nodes (bumps) on the base of the plant at
the same level where the old spike was cut.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Mike

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:49:17 -0400, "Claude"
wrote:

Hello!

Here are my guess...

Your day time temperature seems little bit too low! Most phal like to grow
between 21C and 28C, although some like it hotter and some colder. But the
temperature drop at night seems too big. A difference of 10C between daytime
and nighttime would be better.

The fact that the tip of your roots is getting reddish mean that your plant
is in active growing period. That part is called apical meristem.

About your bugs, can you describe them a bit better! Do they fly? are they
on the medium?
Did you check the leaves? roots?

Claude

.. .