Old 30-10-2004, 09:29 PM
steve

"david williams" wrote in message ...
Hi I've noticed rcently that one of my koi is performing a sort of roll,
where it swims on its side for just a moment and then rolls. Anyone any
ideas?
thanks
DW

I have a large goldfish who had an out of control infection on top of
his head that covered most of it, this caused him to start to roll a
little or swim askew. Miracurously I saved him by using massive anti
biotics and wound ease, the wound completly healed but now he has a
slight roll when he swims especially when going after food. I figured
the infection messed up his brain or his inner ear (if a goldfish has
one) or maybe he is blind in one eye even though his eyes look fine.

I guess your fish could have a parasite infection on his scales but I
would have thought that the fish would be scraping himself on objects
or jumping out of the water if that was the case but who knows.

The only other idea is that its swim bladder was slightly messed up by
an infection and now your fish struggles a little when swimming
(hence he rolls a little) at least he has a very stable body design
so he can cope with it easily enough. I use to own tiger barbs and
they have stubby bodies and they have notorious swim bladder problems.
Their fine one day and then their rolling and doing head stands and
not able to swim correctly at all and you have to put them down.