Old 27-10-2004, 01:53 AM
RichToyBox

The only reason for a filter to have a slow flow rate is to allow settlement
of solids. The bacteria will eat X pounds of ammonia and nitrite per hour,
and if the water moves slow, they just have a higher concentration coming
into them, but the end result is there will be enough bacteria to take care
of the ammonia and nitrites, regardless of flow rate. I prefer higher flow
rates over slower flow rates for most filters, but the veggie filter does
better with lower flow rates.
--
RichToyBox

"bk" wrote in message
link.net...
I have a 1200 gallon pond with Cichlids - Sorry no Koi.
We use a tetra cannister filter with an 1100 gph pump. The filter was
running very slow, so I cleaned the enire filter and it still ran slow.
Then I found a something jambed within the connection between the hose and
filter. When i removed this, I never saw so much water run thru the
filter. I'm actually wondering now if the water is running too fast.
Should the water be traveling thru the filter at the same or close to the
same speed as it enters? Seems it should in order to turnover the water
volume. Boy this guy is really flowing now.