Old 29-10-2004, 08:19 PM
Franz Heymann

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
news
In article , Janet

Baraclough.
. writes

We don't compost citrus fruit material because it is part of

general
kitchen/household waste and except for delivered horse manure we

only
compost herbage, leaves, shreddings, soils etc. which have come

from our
own gardening.

I'm curious why you make that distinction, Alan. General kitchen
waste from shop-bought fruit and veg, is from stuff you ate. You've
already ingested any chemicals/preservatives which they contained.

So why don't you want to eat plants fed on compost made from
(bought-in) food which you've already eaten anyway?

Ideally in a fully organic system, one would consume only their own

or
other guaranteed organic produce. That is not feasible in practice
though so we buy some foodstuffs which may contain all manner of

nasties
introduced by commercial and intensive producers. Quite a high
proportion of the small quantity of kitchen waste we generate is

from
our own wide range of fruit and veg. and that is composted. Anything
else is disposed of onto the island in our pond for our resident

family
of moor-hens and other wild birds to have. They don't seem to mind!

To return to that horse manure you use: What did the horses eat?

Franz