Old 29-10-2004, 10:30 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote in message ...
Bob H writes:

Hi, we have just had a sycamore tree cut down, and the stump

ground
out? Anyway, this has left us a lot of sawdust/chippings/etc. I
wondered if it is any good for anything in the garden as a topping

in
the borders maybe, or just bin it?

I helped a neighbour do the same in return for the firewood. The
chippings and shredded leaves and small branches got mixed with the
results from a couple of lawn mowings and spread over what is now a
much more useable bed on my side of the fence. The grass will make

up
some of the loss of nitrogen as the woody bits rot down,

How does the grass do that?

The easy way to avoid a nitrogen shortage while the chippings rot is
to be a little more generous with Growmore fertiliser on the areas
covered by the chippings.

and I've got
a nicely mulched bed ready for the spring. And enough firewood for

the
winter!

Franz