Old 30-10-2004, 06:10 PM
Annette

"James" wrote in message ...

People think they are being kind in this sort of way, but 9 times out of ten
they are killing off our feathered friends.
My advice is to use google to find the RSPB site and ask there.
and then let us all know what you found.
another trick is to use logic, but I think sometimes we have a fuzzy logic
installed in our brains as well.

I have a guide to garden birds that I got from the RSPB - it's free to
send of for on their website. It's quite a nice little guide and very
informative on different birds you might see in your garden etc. It
also has advice on what to feed garden birds. In the list of suggested
foods to put out, it includes chopped bacon rind....it also says it's
OK to feed bread so long as it's moistened.

The only thing it outlaws is dessicated coconut as this apparently
swells in a birds stomach.

I'm not saying one thing is right or wrong...just to give a view on
what the RSPB have actually said is OK - at least in one of their
publications...

One thing that doesn't seem to have been mentioned in this thread is
that if you do put food out for birds, then you should definitely also
ensure that there is a safe place for them to get water too. A shallow
pan or a birdbath...

Annette
www.gardenopoly.co.uk