Old 30-10-2004, 10:52 AM
Josie

Message from Sacha on Mon, 25 Oct
2004 10:53:55 leylandii hedge overtrimmed - more qusteions.:

On 25/10/04 12:58 am, in article , "ned"
wrote:

snip
My experience is that grass grows well enough up to and under my
hedge.
Even in the drought conditions of 2003 the only patch of grass to
suffer was where an apple tree had spread its roots from the other
side of the leylandii hedge.
Many things will grow under and through the hedge. I have trouble
keeping my hedge free of intruders.

How high is your hedge and how old? IME, nothing grows easily under
leylandii, except perhaps, ivy.

How interesting! My experience is a little different. An ivy adjacent
to a leylandii tree kept at 10' just won't grow, yet the grass grows
right to the tree's edge and an adjacent lavatera grows and flowers
vigorously. The link between cause and effect might not be as clear as
many think.