Old 30-10-2004, 09:40 PM
Kay

In article , Brian Watson
writes

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Brian Watson
writes

I wouldn't want a variegated evergreen self-clinging climber on a wall if
the consequences might be those of an ivy.

I'd improve the soil and plant something more attractive.

Such as?

Passionflower? Clematis?

I'm not sure passion flower will grow outside up here, and clematis
isn't self clinging. Most clematis aren't evergreen, and the most
available evergreen one, C armandii, is a bit tender and I'm not sure it
would do well on a N wall - mine is on a S facing wall.

I think you're struggling! ;-)

I wasn't trying to catch you out, merely I couldn't think of a good
alternative for ivy, and wanted to know if there was one. I have a
winter jasmine on my wall - it's not clinging, so I have to have wires
for it, and I think a good many people would find ivy more attractive.

--
Kay