Old 30-10-2004, 10:48 PM
Mike Lyle

Brian Watson wrote:
"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Brian Watson
writes

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Brian

Watson
writes

Passionflower? Clematis?

I'm not sure passion flower will grow outside up here, and

clematis
isn't self clinging. Most clematis aren't evergreen, and the most
available evergreen one, C armandii, is a bit tender and I'm not
sure it would do well on a N wall - mine is on a S facing wall.

I think you're struggling! ;-)

No, *you're* struggling for want of a bit of trellis.

:-)

I wasn't trying to catch you out, merely I couldn't think of a

good
alternative for ivy, and wanted to know if there was one. I have a
winter jasmine on my wall - it's not clinging, so I have to have
wires for it, and I think a good many people would find ivy more
attractive.

Well, it's your wall and you seen determined to have ivy, so do.

It'll be your problem, after all, unless you move house before it
wreaks its havoc.

Hydrangea petiolaris.

I do love ivies; but I really would strongly counsel against growing
one on a house wall.

Mike.