Old 31-10-2004, 04:38 PM
Bob Hobden

"Alan Gould" wrote in reply...
, Bob Hobden
It depends whether it's grown organically like Alan grows for his family,
grown Organically (TM) as sold in the shops (some chemicals are
allowed!!!)
or grown like ours with the bare minimum of chemicals and then only as a
last resort to save the crop. (still better than you can buy)

No chemicals are permitted to be used in the production of food to be
sold to the public as organic. Soil Association and HDRA give qualified
acceptance to a small number of such substances being used during
conversion from chemical to organic growing, but resulting crops cannot
legally be marketed as organic.

That's not my understanding Alan, I understood some chemicals and "natural"
plant extract chemicals are allowed, and as some plant extract chemicals
will kill I don't see they are any more valid in an organic garden than man
made ones.

There may be different arrangements for so called 'Organic (TM)'
produce, but I have never discovered any food on sale under that name.
Could you detail where you have seen it?

What I meant by that is, the organic stuff sold in supermarkets and similar
which is produced on factory type farms like the other non-organic produce,
i.e. highly commercial, millions of £'s involved.......

--
Regards
Bob