Old 31-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Babberney

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:23:44 +0100, effero
wrote:

I live in Round Rock and have purchased 4 trees from Ted's which they
installed. Cherry Laurel, Red Oak, Chinquapin, and Live Oak have been
installed. My Red Oak looks as though it might have Oak wilt ... its
what I feared the most in planting it.

I'd say it's highly unlikely, but if true, make sure to remove the
tree and dispose of it properly. Red Oaks (shumard is most common at
nurseries) are the trees that allow the fungus to form fungal mats
that sperad spores, and should never be left standing.

If a red oak does contract oak wilt, it will be completely dead in a
matter of weeks. If this does not happen, your problem is something
else (maybe bacterial leaf scorch?).

How long ago did this tree go in? Most nurseries (I assume Ted's is
no exception) will guarantee their products for a year, so you may be
entitled to a replacement.

Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist

For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.