Old 31-10-2004, 10:02 PM
news

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
in that it doesn't host a lot of insects and other food either on its
leaves or in its litter.

Sorry to divert the thread here, but what is the general position
regarding the litter of leylandii and other conifers? I'm just in the
process of removing half a dozen varied conifers - mainly because the
new greenhouse needs to go close to them. I'm shredding the smaller
branches, including green and brown - and I'm not sure whether to take
the results to the council tip or use them in some way. I can probably
spare a bit of space to allow them to rot down a bit - but,
notwithstanding the amount of time they might take, will they be of any
use either as mulch or as soil conditioner? If so, should they be
rotted down separately, mulched straightaway or added to other
compostings?

My immediate thought would be that they are too "acidic" to be of much
use as a general bed tonic? Smelled fantastic whilst shredding,
though

--
regards andyw