Old 31-10-2004, 11:39 PM
Lee

Cheryl Isaak wrote in message ...
Has any one had success doing this? I've tried on several occasions with
very little compost and lots of leaves looking like they just fell yesterday
after a year's time. I've tried adding water after filling the bag and
bagging wet leaves. I use partially shredded leaves from my mower.

Cheryl
Southern NH

Last fall my neighbor had 15 bags (if I remember right) sitting in her
yard waiting for someone to take them to the curb for pickup. She does
not use weed killers or other chemical on her lawn, just well water. I
ask for them; we were both happy. I took them behind the storage shed,
poured a bit of nitrogen fertilizer, a bit of garden soil and some
manure, poked holes in the bags. last month i emptied most of them on
the lawn and those that did not break completely down, we ran over
with the mower and they nearly all simply settled down into the lawn.
The ones that broke down well, I spread as mulch on garden areas. One
of them was the last baging of lawn clippings and autumn leaves last
fall from our lawn and it broke down to really good compost which went
on a special garden area. It seems to work pretty well! Our lawn,
which for past 20 years has been grossly neglected does look a lot
better. This is our second full fall season here. I am old and unable
to turn a compost heap so this is a workable solution for me.
lee/leo