Old 31-10-2004, 11:54 PM
ned

"news" wrote in message
In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
in that it doesn't host a lot of insects and other food either on

its
leaves or in its litter.

Sorry to divert the thread here, but what is the general position
regarding the litter of leylandii and other conifers? I'm just in

the
process of removing half a dozen varied conifers - mainly because

the
new greenhouse needs to go close to them. I'm shredding the smaller
branches, including green and brown - and I'm not sure whether to

take
the results to the council tip or use them in some way. I can

probably
spare a bit of space to allow them to rot down a bit - but,
notwithstanding the amount of time they might take, will they be of

any
use either as mulch or as soil conditioner? If so, should they be
rotted down separately, mulched straightaway or added to other
compostings?

My immediate thought would be that they are too "acidic" to be of

much
use as a general bed tonic? Smelled fantastic whilst shredding,
though

Yes, it does smell great, doesn't it.
I use the clippings before shredding as a path mulch - gives a
wonderful soft woodland feel to the path and helps suppress weeds,
and when shredded, as a compost. The latter takes up to a year to
degrade but I add no hastener to it, it just lays quietly behind the
garage, along with the fallen leaves and it breaks down to a lovely
peaty texture. I've had no adverse effects when used in pots or when
planting out.
I wouldn't go so far as to claim that its a soil 'tonic' but it seems
to improve texture.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk