Old 01-11-2004, 12:41 AM
Sacha

On 31/10/04 18:56, in article ,
"Klara" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
The funny thing is with these C. purpurescens plants that they can be
quite variable. Some are deeply contrasting in colour and very
attractive, others look quite anaemic.

I wonder whether the soil conditions affect the colour in some way -
acidity, or something else?

Could be but we notice differences in plants here on not greatly differing
soils in the same area.

Ray suggests that if you can grow it from seed and get it through
winter outside - with a bit of protection if necessary - it seems to
give a better colour.

I'll mulch it thickly with leaf mould. But presumably getting it through
the winter doesn't necessarily mean the foliage? It could sprout again
from the roots? (My lack of experience is beginning to show through...)

Yes.

I like the yellow but my husband has little time for it. Yellow is my
favourite colour, so I'm probably a bit biased. Do you grow Verbena
rigida and Origanum laevigatum 'Herrenhausen' too? The latter is
lovely grown over greyish stone, for example.
--

Not yet ... but I'm taking notes!!

If you like the purply range of colour, I think you'll love those!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk