Old 01-11-2004, 10:30 AM
Victoria Clare

Default blueberry sulking

I've had this blueberry plant for 3 years now, and it's never done much: it
just sits there and looks sulky. It doesn't grow much, it doesn't fruit,
it occasionally has the odd flower which it then drops in a fit of pique.
Its leaves are a bit mottled and sad-looking.

It's a dwarf variety supposedly suitable for a pot, and it's planted in a
pot maybe 16-20 inches across in ericacious compost and kept dampish.

I haven't been feeding it much because I understand they mostly come from
fairly nutrient-poor soils - should I feed it, and if so, what with? I did
give it some chicken manure this year in a fit of generosity as I was
feeding the very healthy clematis in the next pot - but it just ignored
it....

It's in a moderately shady location on the north side of a low wall at the
moment - the few sunny spots in my garden are *very* sunny and tend to dry
out fast.

It gets some sun in the mornings in summer, less in winter, but lots of
light as it is opposite a very light south-facing wall (so the light
bounces back onto it, though not as strongly as direct sunlight).

Any ideas on how to coax this curmudgeonly plant into full health?

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall