Old 01-11-2004, 01:54 PM
JustMe

" JustMe" wrote in message
If I put down weed-and-feed on wet grass and do not wash it off, and it
does not burn the lawn.

If I do that with some other fertilizers it burns the lawn.

Are fertilizers made of different things?

Is there non-weed-and-feed fertilizer that does not burn the lawn if not
washed off?

Thanks

Thanks to both

Then, as I understand it, the answer to my question is:

Non-weed&feed fertilizer uses ammonium nitrate which is very water soluble
and
leeches into the grass via the foliage rather via the roots,
thus overdosing the plant and "burning" it.

Weed&feed on the other hand very likely is using urea nitrogen
which is needs to break down in the soil to become available.

Sounds to me like the ammonium nitrate should be applied in smaller
doses but more often than urea since it leaches out of the soil more
readily (I.a., it is more water soluble).
True?