Old 01-11-2004, 07:30 PM
Eric Schreiber

See blackout method, this will help your plants and take less time, is
certainly the cheapest method and the easiest, fastest etc.

I've read lots of comments that the blackout approach has little or no
effect on cyanobacteria, since they aren't dependent on light like
conventional algae. The tank in which I'm having problems isn't planted
(not quite correct - I've tossed a handful of najas into it to try to
out-compete the BGA for nutrients), and I don't do any CO2 injection at
all.

I believe my root causes are that I overfeed (which I'm correcting) and
that the tank is now so overrun with BGA that moderately drastic
measures are needed to bring it under control.

I've already started treating with Myacin. If the five day cycle
doesn't have any effect, I'll give your instructions a whirl.

--
Eric Schreiber
www.ericschreiber.com