Old 01-11-2004, 07:20 PM
Jay Chan

Do you shovel the snow from your grass also?!?! It is the same idea.
When the temperatures are cool and the grass is covered by leaves or
snow, it goes dormant. By spring the snow and leaves are all gone and
the grass is greener than ever. I have been mulching leaves for 40
years and the lawn loves it. By mid winter there is no sign of any
leaves. After we have snow, the lawn snaps back greener than ever. For
this to work best you need to leave a little length to the grass...

Glad to hear that mulching all the leaves works for you.

But this doesn't work for me. Mulching alone just cannot take care of
the large amount of leaves on my lawn. When I tried that, I ended up
getting a layer of yellow or red shredded leaves on my lawn. The large
amount of yellow/red shredded leaves could not blend in with the green
lawn. This creates a very messy look. And I am not cutting the grass
short either. I cut them at the recommended height for my Kentucky
Bluegrass -- 3". Good thing I can use the shredded leaves in my
compost piles; therefore, the only difference between mulching the
leaves and shredding-bagging-and-composting the leaves is the number
of trips to my compost piles. This is really no big deal for me. I can
live with this rather than leaving the lawn in a very messy look.

When I am mowing the lawn, I almost always mulch the grass. The
shredded green leaves blend in perfectly with the green lawn. But I
will not do this with leaves, especially a large amount of leaves.

I think this depends on whether someone can live with the messy look,
and whether the extra trips to the compost pipes is too much a trouble
for that person, and whether that person has a compost pile at all. If
that person doesn't have a compost pile, and if he can live with the
messy look, I guess he will be better off mulching the leaves to add
the organic matters back to the lawn.

Jay Chan