Old 02-11-2004, 02:52 AM
Rick B

Thanks for all the advice, guys. Can Mushroom Compost be bought in large
quanities? I've only seen it bagged at Bunnings. I guess there is a myriad
of materials I could use around the perimetre to stop the triffids.

....I can't wait to get stuck into it

"len gardener" wrote in message
g'day rick,

basically all i've ever used in my raised beds is mushroom compost, i
add where i can any organic materila that will break down on the
bottom first, after the newspaper that is. then lay the mushy compost
in and cover with a good layer of mulch hay or the like. you can add
manures as you build the bed.

create pathways around the beds as weed barrier, you can use anything
on top of newspaper eg.,. 20mm stone or sawdust whatever is readily
available.

couch like any other weed has a very hard time getting a foothold in a
well mulched garden bed.

anysoil you bring in will be very low in organic matter so you will
need to be digging some in, unless you buy a garden soil mix, i tried
the mix but found i got better results with the mush' compost.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the
environment

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before
you send.