Old 02-11-2004, 03:48 AM
Michael Moroney

Elie Gendloff wrote:

There is an enormous amount of evidence that the plant and animal
kingdoms developed from a common ancestor - both use DNA, RNA and
protein made up of the same components; at the chemical level, the
primary metabolic pathways are the same; you can put animal DNA in
plants and vice versa and it will work, to name a few.
there are also other kingdoms that don't fit the duality paradigm -
fungi, bacteria (some or which photosynthesize and others that don't),
and archaea.

I've read somewhere that plants are more closely related to animals than
they are to fungi, despite that under the obsolete two-kingdom
classification system, fungi were classified as plants. Is this true?

If you go by Archie's energy source classification, a mushroom would be
an animal, I guess. Even Indian Pipe, which is really a flowering
plant, is an animal, apparently. They even have miniature leaves. It's
related to the blueberry.
--
-Mike